Oh what a Day
We went to a Chinese Hospital. The Name: Chengdu University for Traditional Chinese Medicine in Cooperation with the hospital.
Something like that. Actually it works like the University Hospital Eppendorf in Hamburg (UKE), but focussing on a combination of Western and Traditional Chinese treatment.
First of all: that hospital Campus is huge. So huge that you definitely get lost. Even the staff gets lost there.
Having my own medical issues it was my naive plan for this trip to go and find any counseling referring to traditional Chinese medicine.
The staff at my hostel (google SIM's Cozy Hostel Chengdu) was very helpful by making a first phone call to find the right adress, since the desired hospital was spread throughout a campus area.
Me and my travel mates arrived by Taxi. Decent price 20 Chinese Yuan (about 2.50 Euro). Taxi drivers usually have a very good navigation knowledge. It feels trustful. I'm saying this, because you as a typical Tourist may be a little paranuid at the beginning. No need to be, if u prepare the adress in Chinese.
The Chengdu Hospital for TCM was like nothing that a German person would know nor understand. Loud, crowded and for your first visit totally confusing.
Downstairs are all doctors being displayed. Patients choose the doctors themselves. Similar to an political election somehow. I guess you better be a good doc. Otherwise you will land at the bottom of those displays someday..
At a central point there are information ladies who guide the arriving patients to their destinations. They look a little like stewardesses.
I am standing in the groundfloor. A huge Lobby. Actually a hall. To the left and to the right are counters, people bustling around, speaking loudly, asking things, old people, young people, waving with their papers and prescriptions to the man with white overalls behind the glass of those counters.
Better you dont try yourself to understand that system. FIRST THOUGHT: I got to find someone. Someone who is deign to speak with me in English.
The two young information ladies giggle a little and try their best, but i think to their ears it ironically sounds like "chinese", when i confront them with my foreign language.
After a while they send the persistant me to the 5th floor. - I definitely did not fly all the way to China to give up on that little hindrance called lingual understanding. Cheers.
So that was a lucky incident. The apartment for acupuncture and dermatology is located right there: 5th FLOOR. -Hallelujah!
Again: Another information lady was working at each stairway. After i showed her some things with pictures I had prepared for today she understood what I was looking for and guided me directly to - TO WHERE?? - To the head doctor's office..! Hah!
Surrounded by his students the head doctor was counseling his patients. The assistant doctors and Student doctors respectfully call him teacher, I found out later.
Because I had prepared that illustration of my medical history, he instantly understood my desire for counseling, but still... no English. Until a young lady checked in. That is where the lucky part of the day truly began: Lucy.
Being a student doctor of that teacher doctor she could ask me relevant questions.
As a foreigner I wondered about the System. How to pay? Was it okay that I simply showed up without an appointment?
Definitely not the normal way.. But all questions cleared I even got a counseling and a prescription for herbal tea that would treat the medical problem.
It took some 15 minutes for him to make a First Check on my tongue, my pulse and a questioning. After 10 days I would return and have a new counseling, Not at least to judge on the herbal tea's progress.
The old Teacher doctor was probably aging 70 and very experienced in the TCM methods. It felt a little as if a Master of Ancient Chinese Days was sitting in a modern Hospital after a Time travel. Mmmh!
The whole day then we were accompanied by Lucy, student doctor and being specialized in TCM acupuncture. A fortunate coincidence..
My travel mate was also undergoing a general check-up which would last the whole day, passing through nearly ALL departments that this Hospital had to offer. Let's shorten its exemplification by closing with: our feet hurt by the end of the day, but without Lucy we would have either given up or stayed there for 3 more days in a row.. A Happy ending.
Sorry, but it is not common to take photos in the Hospital.
In general you have to take care what to take photos of.






0 Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen